Wednesday 4 January 2012

Mars Bar Trifle

Trifle. Love it or hate it? I am not the biggest fan, although I wouldn't say I *hated* it, but I tend to only like the cheap ones with not a lot of fruit or alcohol in them, which kind of defeats the purpose. I saw this recipe in my December edition of Essentials magazine and knew I had to try it immediately. However when there are just 2 of you in the house it is slightly ridiculous to make a pudding that would serve about 6 people, so I saved it for Christmas Eve down at my mum's. I promise you, when you eat this, you will die and go to Heaven....


Mars Bar Trifle
(serves 6... maybe more if you are conservative with portions!)

Slice 12 Mars Bar mini rolls and layer them along the bottom of your trifle bowl. Then pour over 1 tin of caramel - like Nestle Dulce du Leche or similar - and smooth over with a hot spoon. Meanwhile, heat 1 regular sized carton of Ambrosia chocolate custard in a saucepan, then dissolve 3 gelatin sheets which have been soaking in cold water for a few moments into the custard. Pour the custard over the caramel and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes. Whip up 200g whipping cream, and spoon over the custard. Finish off with chopped Mars Bar (2 is enough) and drizzle with chocolate sauce.


Apologies for the spectacularly crap picture. I had to use my phone and the light in my mum's kitchen was poor. Do you like the retro trifle bowl? My mum's, obviously.......... ; )

There are a few changes I would make to the recipe next time. First of all, I would do individual portions, unless I knew I was feeding a crowd. It is a delicious recipe but too big for just 4. You need to give small portions because it is so rich. Secondly I don't know if I would bother with heating the custard and adding gelatin. It made the custard very solid and I didn't like the texture when I was eating it. I guess it is to make a more stable base for the cream but I reckon it would be fine just to chill it, or just add the one leaf of gelatin.

Let me know if you make it and what you thought of it!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy! I'll try my best to reply to you all :) xx